Source: Mission Record
Mission council granted third reading to allow the property on Proctor Lane to be rezoned from multi-family use to commercial after a public hearing Monday night.
Only one person who lived close to the proposed youth service centre had concerns.
“It’s always been a bad area,” said the speaker identified as Joe, adding he was not against the proposal.
He noted the property has not been properly maintained or secured in the past and there are loitering issues in the area. He also suggested lighting be installed on the street.
Mayor Randy Hawes said people who are loitering need to access services like what MY House is offering.
“This is an active program trying to solve the issues you are talking about,” said Hawes.
There will be less people hanging out in the area because the house will be used and monitored, said Coun. Rhett Nicholson, who also lives in the neighbourhood. “I think it will be a good thing for us.”
MY House, slated to open by the end of next month, will be a place at-risk youth can go to for meals, laundry and shower services. There will also be adults available to listen to them and offer advice.
The building on Proctor Lane, owned by Mission Community Services Society, has been vacant for about a year.
Previously, MCSS executive director Sanjay Gulati told The Record the vision is to create a one-point source of information and contact for youth.
MY House is a community initiative that emerged out of the Youth Homelessness Committee.
Third reading was passed unanimously by council.
Posted on January 29, 2015