Connections February 2021
You are a people-oriented self-starter who is visionary, passionate, supportive and has a dream to see struggling youth in East Vancouver, flourish. As the Area Director of Youth Unlimited’s East Vancouver team, you would be overseeing and supporting a talented group of inspired, driven and passionate youth workers who are determined to help make the lives of the youth of the city better. From extraordinary art training, to outdoor adventure, to a mobile drop-in centre, the programs run by YU youth workers are having an impact, but they are in a need of a manager.
Your role is to support and lead the team through mentorship, spiritual direction, administrative support and key partnerships. You also are the one to strengthen and grow the impact YU is having on the many youth who need hope and our love and support.
Who is Youth Unlimited?
Greater Vancouver Youth Unlimited (YU) is a faith-based, grass roots, pioneering organization, catalyzed by innovative outreach workers passionate about reaching kids on the margins. YU addresses the holistic health of young people: physical, emotional, mental, social, and spiritual.
Why do we exist?
We exist to enhance the development, health, and safety of young people from communities across the Lower Mainland—especially, young people who lack caring adults in their lives. We do this by building a strong, professional, working relationship with schools, youth agencies, churches, social workers, community workers, and students.
Area Director Summary
Working with a team of like-minded individuals the Area Director is responsible for the direction, supervision, budgets and finances for this diverse area of Greater Vancouver.
What must the candidate possess to thrive in the position?
- Leadership skills, especially in leading fellow team members and volunteers.
- Passion for discipleship and communicating the good news of Jesus through relationship
- Comfort and confidence in relating to a wide range of people from youth, staff, business owners, other community groups, churches, etc.
- Professionalism in verbal and written communication
- Consistency and boldness in engaging a wide network of financial and community partners
- Ability to work in harmony with Youth Unlimited’s existing staff team
- Ability to work in team and independently, while being a highly efficient time manager
- Ability to plan and coordinate meetings, and motivate people.
What are the working conditions?
- Ability to work from the head office, coffee shops and at home.
- Meeting with staff and other parties in, coffee shops, and other public places
- Use of own vehicle or public transit to travel to required locations
- Collaborating with other East Vancouver staff, Greater Vancouver staff, and volunteers
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with individuals, schools, and community organizations.
- Occasional evening work, weekend work, day trips, and extended trips
- Salary, expenses, and benefits (if applicable) are all raised by the applicant, with YU support
Time commitment: Full time, 40 hours per week
Training: 2-year credentialing training, plus organization-wide and hands-on training ongoing.
Supervision and feedback: Regular meetings with supervisor (direct report) and team members.
Financing: This is a support-raising position
How to Apply: Send your cover letter and resume to Dean Klassen: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a reference letter from your pastor (if letter not included, application will not be considered)
Deadline: Friday, February 14 at 5PM