Connections February 2021
Youth Unlimited Graphic Designer
Job Title: Graphic Designer
Reports to: Marketing and Communications Director
Application Deadline: Sunday, January 17 @ 11:59PM PST
Classification: Full-time (4-5 days/week), salary
Location: Vancouver (with some days in Surrey)
Youth Unlimited (YU) in Greater Vancouver is a Christian-based, grass-roots, pioneering organization, catalyzed by innovative outreach workers, passionate about reaching youth on the margins. We care deeply about youth as a whole person and serve youth in many ways, with the relational aspect being the most important.
The graphic designer is a key member of the marketing team, responsible to improve Youth Unlimited’s visibility on the non-profit sector among Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. We provide the tools, visual identity and systems that support the fundraising and marketing components of our work, in order to resource our frontline staff with as a much as possible to help youth who are falling through the cracks in our community.
Graphic Designer Job Responsibilities:
- Prepares work to be accomplished by gathering information and materials.
- Plans concept by studying information and materials.
- Illustrates concept by designing rough layout of art and copy regarding arrangement, size, type size and style, and related aesthetic concepts.
- Designs will be used for print, the web, Social media (at times), and possibly other digital uses.
- Obtains approval of concept by submitting rough layout for approval.
- Prepares finished copy and art by operating typesetting, printing, and similar equipment; and purchasing from vendors.
- Prepares final layout by marking and pasting up finished copy and art.
- Ensures operation of equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; and evaluating new equipment.
- Completes projects by coordinating with the marketing director, other staff, outside agencies, art services and printers, as needed.
- When possible, maintains technical knowledge by attending design workshops and reviewing professional publications
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed and general duties as accomplished by all marketing and communications team members.
- This is a junior/entry-level position, so the level and speed of work expectations are at a junior level, as is the salary.
We are growing this position from its current three-days a week to a four to five day a week position. The incumbent would work 1-2 days a week in the Surrey head office, and the rest of their time in the Vancouver office.
Any experience in web design, web programming or web marketing experience would be an extraordinary asset. A new job description would be created to reflect that experience if a candidate was both a graphic designer and had significant web experience.
Other useful assets:
- Photography proficiency
- Videography (filming and editing) proficiency
- Digital Marketing experience
- Google Ads experience
Qualifications and skills:
- Solid graphic design skills
- Layout skills
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Desktop publishing tools and graphic design software
- Acute vision
- A team-player
- Time-management skills
- Communication skills
- Alignment with Youth Unlimited’s values and ethos
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Certificate, diploma or bachelor’s degree in graphic design from an accredited post-secondary institution
- One year of experience in graphic design
About Youth Unlimited
Youth Unlimited has been helping young people discover their potential since 1945. Operating in nine cities across Greater Vancouver, YU provides caring relationships and developmental opportunities for vulnerable youth through relevant programs and individual connections, aimed at fostering mental, physical, social, spiritual and emotional well-being among young people in the community. Also known as Youth For Christ in some parts of Canada, Youth Unlimited is a Christian organization and cares for all youth regardless of faith, race, gender or any other trait. www.youthunlimited.com
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your cover letter and resume to Dean Klassen by Sunday, January 17, 2021 @ 11:59PM
Address: #115-12975 84th Avenue, Surrey, BC V3W 1B3.