Connections April 2021
Youth Unlimited Graphic Designer
Job Title Graphic Designer
Reports to Marketing and Communications Director
Application Deadline Sunday March 28, 2021
Classification Full-time (4-5 days/week), salary + benefits
Location Vancouver and Surrey
Youth Unlimited (YU) in Greater Vancouver is a Christian-based, grass-roots, pioneering organization, catalyzed by innovative outreach workers, passionate about reaching youth on the margins. We care deeply about youth as a whole person and serve youth in many ways, with the relational aspect being the most important. We connect with about 20,000 youth each year, and actively mentor many of them.
The graphic designer is a key member of the marketing and communications team, responsible to steward and improve Youth Unlimited’s visibility among the non-profit sector in Greater Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. As a team, we provide the tools, visual identity and systems that support the fundraising and marketing components of our work, in order to resource our frontline staff with as a much as possible to help youth who are falling through the cracks in our community.
The successful candidate will have both skill and expertise in graphic design, but will also be committed to Youth Unlimited’s mission and vision.
*Please note, this is NOT a remote position.
- Produce creative designs for print, web and sometimes unique medium.
- Design marketing assets including campaigns, event marketing materials, landing pages, newsletters, annual reports, banners, display ads, signage, swag/branded clothing, vehicle wraps and ad hoc requests.
- Prepare the final layout of print projects and liaise with printers.
- Some project management of design projects
- Provide branding guidance to YU programs Areas, many of whom create their own tools
- Work with the marketing and communications team to strategize and implement marketing plans and online initiatives
- Manage multiple projects of various sizes at any given time
- Showcase an on-going desire to learn, think creatively and attempt to improve everything design-related at GVYU
- Collaborate with the team and other staff, as needed
- If and when needed – maintenance and trouble-shooting of our equipment and tools.
- When possible, maintains technical knowledge by attending design workshops and reviewing professional publications
- Provide support for the creation of social media assets to the marketing coordinator, as needed
- Assist with occasional community events when required
- Assist with photoshoot and video set up if needed
- Degree or diploma in Graphic Design/Visual Communications
- Note: New graduates are welcome, as are more experienced candidates
What you bring
- Alignment with Youth Unlimited’s values and ethos
- Proficient in Mac OS, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop), and Microsoft Office
- Experience with digital and print design with examples of both in your portfolio
- Attention to detail and proven commitment to quality control
- Solid understanding of typography and page layout
- Self-motivated individual with personal initiative, a flexible attitude, and the ability to multi-task and work with shifting deadlines
- Excellent communication and English language skills
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team, to at-times perform under pressure
- A team-first attitude and the willingness to work on all projects big or small
Not required but definite assets:
- Knowledge of CSS and HTML
- Videography (filming and/or editing) or photography proficiency
- Experience in web design, web programming or web marketing
- Digital marketing and experience with Google Ads
- Understanding of interactive design
- Illustration skill
- Strong interpersonal skills, including diplomacy, as well as the ability to communicate well
About Youth Unlimited
Youth Unlimited has been helping young people discover their potential since 1945. Operating in nine cities across Greater Vancouver, YU provides caring relationships and developmental opportunities for vulnerable youth through relevant programs and individual connections, aimed at fostering mental, physical, social, spiritual and emotional well-being among young people in the community. Also known as Youth For Christ in some parts of Canada, Youth Unlimited is a Christian organization and cares for all youth regardless of faith, race, gender or any other trait. www.youthunlimited.com
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your cover letter and resume to Dean Klassen by Sunday, March 28, 2021.
Head Office Address: #115-12975 84th Avenue, Surrey, BC V3W 1B3