EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: Youth Unlimited Area Director for East Vancouver
Do you have a passion to care for and resource the most vulnerable youth in your community? Do you value love, support and spiritual care as key ingredients to a young person’s wholistic well-being? Then a career with Youth Unlimited may be for you.
What is Youth Unlimited?
Youth Unlimited (YU) in Greater Vancouver is a faith-based, grass-roots, pioneering organization, catalyzed by innovative outreach workers passionate about reaching kids on the margins. “Flowing out of the mission of Jesus, GVYU relationally engages in wholistic work with vulnerable youth, in partnership with the church and the community.”
Why do we exist?
We exist to enhance the development, health, safety and spiritual connectedness of young people from communities across the Lower Mainland—especially, young people who lack caring adults in their lives. We do this by building a strong, professional, working relationship with schools, youth agencies, churches, social workers, community workers, and students.
What does the MY House Youth Outreach Worker do?
The MY House Youth Outreach Worker has a strong motivation in life to care for the most vulnerable youth in our community. Activities will be focused on providing holistic care for youth connected to Mission Youth House (MY House) as well as working with the rest of the Mission Youth Unlimited team in organizing, leading, facilitating, and networking in relation to MY House and the greater Youth Unlimited.
What must the candidate possess to thrive in the position?
• Compassion and drive to advocate and care for the most vulnerable youth
• Passion for helping youth connect with their Creator and hope in Jesus
• Professionalism in verbal and written communication
• Consistency and boldness in engaging a wide network of financial and community partners
• Leadership skills, especially in leading small groups of volunteers or youth
• Comfort and confidence in relating to a wide range of youth (ideally, from past experience)
• Ability to work in harmony with Youth Unlimited’s existing staff team
• Ability to work in team and independently, while being a highly efficient time manager
• Ability to plan and coordinate meetings, small groups, and events
What are the working conditions?
• Phone and computer work at home, coffee shop or MY House
• Meeting youth and adults in MY House, coffee shops, and other public places
• Use of own vehicle or public transit to travel to required locations
• Collaborating with other Mission staff, Greater Vancouver staff, volunteers and MY House community partners
• Developing and maintaining partnerships with individuals, schools, and community organizations
• Occasional evening work, weekend work, day trips, and extended trips
• Salary, expenses, and benefits (if applicable) are all raised by the applicant, with Youth Unlimited support and training. Partial funding may be supplied through grants and partnerships. Please discuss with us! Youth Unlimited salaries are set by a board of directors and are at the upper levels of industry standards. Youth Unlimited staff receive strong support. Average staff retainment is more than 10 years.
Time commitment: Part time, 24 hours per week (may develop into 40-hour position) Training: 2-year credentialing training, plus organization-wide and hands-on training ongoing
Supervision and feedback: Regular meetings with supervisor (direct report)and team members
Send applications to Dean Klassen: firstname.lastname@example.org