Connections September 2023
Do you have a passion to care for and teach important life skills to the most vulnerable youth in your community? Do you value love, support and spiritual care as key ingredients to a young person’s holistic well-being? Then a career with Youth Unlimited may be for you. We are currently hiring a youth worker to serve in our automotive shop in Surrey.
Title: Mechanic, Youth Work Specialist
Reports to: Young Guns Garage Director
Classification: Part-Time or Full-Time
About Youth Unlimited
Flowing out of the mission of Jesus, Greater Vancouver Youth Unlimited relationally engages in holistic work (physical, emotional, mental, social and spiritual) with vulnerable youth in partnership with the church and the community. We care deeply about youth as a whole person and serve youth in many ways, with the relational aspect being the most important. See more at www.youthunlimited.com.
Working in coordination with the Young Guns Garage team and other Surrey staff, a Young Guns Garage youth worker is an individual who has a strong motivation to build relationships with young people in the community, and provide mentorship through hands-on projects. Through a background in mechanics or fabrication, along with a passion for automobiles, this youth worker will be responsible to collaborate on projects in the shop, engage youth on these projects, and teach life and work skills. This person will use their strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills to create connections with youth, teachers, and social workers in the community.
What must the candidate possess to thrive in the position?
- Compassion and drive to advocate and care for the most vulnerable youth.
- Passion for helping youth connect with their Creator and hope in Jesus
- Consistency and boldness in engaging a wide network of financial and community partners.
- Leadership skills, especially in leading small groups of volunteers or youth.
- Comfort and confidence in relating to a wide range of youth (ideally, from past experience).
- Ability to work in harmony with Youth Unlimited’s existing staff team.
- Ability to work in a team and independently, while being a highly efficient time manager.
- Ability to plan and coordinate meetings, small groups, and events
- Automotive education or related mechanical experience
- Attention to detail and consistent follow-through
- Good verbal and written communication
- Use of own vehicle or public transit to travel to Young Guns Garage, high schools and in the community
- Work minimum 1 evening a week, occasional weekend drift track days, day trips and extended trips
- Work alongside other Youth Unlimited staff and volunteers
- Developing and maintaining partnerships with individuals, schools, and community organizations.
- Salary, expenses, and benefits (if applicable) are all raised by the applicant, with Youth Unlimited support and training. Partial funding may be supplied through grants and partnerships. Please discuss with us!
- Training: 2-year credentialing training, ongoing relevant training
- Supervision and feedback: Regular meetings with direct report and team members
Youth Unlimited salaries are set by a board of directors and our frontlines salaries are at the upper levels of industry standards. Youth Unlimited staff receive strong support. Average staff retainment is more than 10 years.
How to apply:
Applications will close once the position is filled. If the job opening is still available online, then the position is available.
Please send applications to: email@example.com